Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Hail Fellow, Well Met

Oh this is more braggadocio, but what the heck. I have been invited by James Galbraith, Chair of the Board of Directors of Economists for Peace and Security to be one of their Fellows. I have accepted the invitation. They were founded in 1989 originally as Economists Against the Arms Race, with Kenneth Arrow and Lawrence Klein as their original chairs.

While I am blathering about such stuff, one of the founders and still much involved with the group is the Father of Regional Science, Walter Isard. He served on the thesis committee of my major professor, Eugene Smolensky, at Penn. The chair of that committees was the Father of Happiness Studies, Richard Easterlin. He and I have discussed our common "intellectual ancestry." So, his major prof was Simon Kuznets, whose major prof was Wesley Clair Mitchell, whose major prof was Thorstein Veblen, whom I do not mind being intellectually descended from at all. It was only quite recently that he and I sorted this out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's the conclusion link? Am I missing something?

Eleanor said...

I read some Veblen way back when. I've been running across mentions of him recently, as people decide to rethink the rational economic person, and think I need to read more.

Anyway congratulations. This sounds like an impressive group.

Hey, my verification word is "macro."

Daro said...

Congrats. We need people with your outlook where they can be of some traction in opinion leading on economics.

For more praise please send check or money order to...

Barkley Rosser said...

Thanks you all. I am currently in Waterloo, Ontario attending a conference on the economic crisis at the Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics. Will post on it after it is done and I return in a few days. In the meantime, very heavy duty and still absorbing; I speak tomorrow morning at 9 AM...